Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Welcome to Indiana (Day 9 and start of Day 10)

After my last post in Chillicothe, I moved a bit further and ended up having good luck again finding a camping spot - Seip Mount - an old native american earthworks which is also now a rest stop. nice level ground!

The next morning, it was off to try to get through Cincinnati. For a second day it was all overcast or splittery. I'm starting to think that rather than ever really raining in this area, it just mists down and soaks everything. The good thing is that I don't have to really worry much about sunburn in that kind of weather. The roadside was good, and I got to pass through Bainbridge, Ohio - apparently the site of the world's first dental school (who knew?).

Getting into Cincinnati wasn't hard, but getting out was something of a challenge, with me having to carry my bike and all its gear up and across a landbridge over a no bicycle/pedestrian section of the road, then down a rickety metal down stair about a mile further on. Excitement!

I had hoped to get into Indiana last night, but there is a fair bit of Ohio left beyond Cincinnati. After getting close and passing through North Bend, the site of William Henry Harrison's tomb, I decided to make camp about 4 miles from the border. I've discovered that those leveled areas that are waiting for development, but nobody has touched, make for excellent campsites, although the can be a bit rocky. Today has started out damp and overcast, but I got my tent taken down and gear stored quickly and it was off across the border. The nice thing for today is that I don't have any major goal stopping point, so I'll just move along at a comfortable pace and see what I can do!

2 comments:

  1. Don't get caught in any tornadoes as you cross the plains Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be awesome if he saw one though....but at a safe distance!

    ReplyDelete