Friday, May 7, 2010

Assuming everything goes as planned, I begin my trip tomorrow! While some people may be joining me for parts of the trip, I ended up being the only person who plans to do the whole route. Tomorrow, I'll be getting a ride to Dewey Beach, Delaware where I will begin the trek. Most of the route I plan to follow will be on or near US route 50, and so far the weather for the near future looks decent.

So, what gear have I decided to bring with me? Here most of it is:



I will be bringing along my laptop and charger to keep in touch (I downloaded a bunch of ebooks as well), a light sleeping bag, a backpacking tent, a ground tarp, a water purifier, 2 water bottles for my bicycle, a backpack with a water bladder in it on my back, a reserve 2 liter water bladder, a tire pump, a spare tire and six spare inner tubes, a first aid kit and toiletries, sunglasses, a headlamp, a small LED light, a lighter, a bicycle tube patch kit, a hex wrench and tire levers, my multi-tool, chain lubricant, sunscreen, bicycle lock, duct tape, rechargeable batteries and the charger, my cell phone and its charger, my digital camera and the upload cable, flip flops, a pocket knife, an emergency poncho, 3 short and 1 long sleeve shirt, 1 set of biking shorts and 1 set of biking pants, 2 light shorts and one heavy shorts pair, swim trunks, 3 sets of synthetic socks, 3 pairs of synthetic underwear and a camp towel.

Other than adding one or two things, that is about all I will be using for the next few months. I need to be back in Morgantown for the next school year in almost exactly 100 days. My next update will hopefully come from Delaware!

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know you went with the synthetic underwear. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie (the sister)May 8, 2010 at 12:57 AM

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I just wish soooo badly I could be going! I am not even done with the quarter. Good Luck and Safe Travels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awesome! How long does 50 miles usually take you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are you going to do laundry? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Synthetic underwear is very important!

    Hey Randy. The amount of time 50 miles will take depends on a lot (wind and weather, hills, food availability, etc.) but I expect to average around 10 miles per hour when you include in short food stops.

    Laundry is actually why synthetic clothing is important. Unlike cotton which will stay damp forever, I can take my synthetic clothing, find a sink (or gallon container of water) plunge it in with soap or just using the water, work it around a bit, squeeze out and let dry overnight and be good to go the next day. I also plan to occasionally hit coin laundry stops occasionally.

    ReplyDelete