Sunday, May 30, 2010

Relaxing through Day 20

For lunch, I ate at a local asian buffet. My fortune - work on improving your exercise routine......

This day off was great for recovery. Too a point, even knowing the issues that crop up (sunscreen, bug bites, sore throat), I probably don't fully appreciate the stresses I'm putting on my body. After my last post, I took a 5 hour "nap", woke up and did laundry at the local coin laundry place (Yay!) then went to lunch/dinner. As soon as I'd stuffed myself with food, immediately I was exhausted again. After I post this, I'll probably be going to sleep again to let my body work on healing and getting back a bit.

Garden City seems like a good spot to visit if you have a bit of free time. I've been very happy with my hotel (Wheatlands inn) and the locals are nice. When I was signing in, two different men came in wearing cowboy hats as well as boots with spurs on them. During lunch, at least two more men came in wearing cowboy hats.. I must be getting a bit more west! They apparently have a very nice free zoo, as well as a wide range of businesses and such.

The local place I mentioned that I stopped to eat in my last post was in Hanston, KS. While I was there, the owner mentioned a lady going through riding her horse and having a dog with her - apparently part of a long horseback trek she'd been doing!


I managed to find some spf 100 - a good thing as I'll be going up in elevation and sunscreen will become even more important. Food supplies are filled up, and I'll be ready to hit the road for a light, easy day tomorrow (planning to start late and ease back into the swing of things). The next stretch will see me back on US 50 over the La Junta, CO, then taking their local route 10 to Wallenburg. From there, it will be US 160 all the way into Arizona! That is, of course assuming I don't change up my route again! For now, more rest an relaxation. Safe travels!

5 comments:

  1. Asian cuisine, hilarious fortune cookies, and cowboy hats, plus boots with spurs!!! This place sounds awesome!!! : )

    Here's to a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so great to read about your travels, friend! keep on truckin!! you're doing AWESOME!

    -rachel w

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortune cookies know...

    Thanks for mentioning fireflies! I'd forgotten that they're out, so yesterday I took a jog down the bike path, past a big field to enjoy thousands of them sparkling. Thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tom,
    A fairly impressive tornado just touched down in Baca County, Colorado, just south of you. Tennis ball sized hail was reported. Keep a watch out, especially when biking with limited night visibility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tom. Miss Blevins and Mr. Short here! From good old Altizer Elementary! I, Ron, ran into your mother at the Y a couple of days ago and she told me about your trip. Wow! We are both excited for you and wish you the very best on your adventure. Miss Blevins just told me to tell you to BE VERY CAREFUL! We will be reading your future blogs! Take Care!
    P.S. My email address is rvshort@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete