Saturday, May 22, 2010

Day 13, or how I have a tough time taking it easy

First, I'd like to thank everybody for their support. It really helps me keep going on the longer stretches of the trip. I'm paying attention, even if I'm not commenting back!

Last night, I made camp around Xenia, a tiny little place which had a gas station (place to get breakfast!). Getting in early, I set up camp, and with no weather dangers, left the rain fly off of my tent. That let me see a great show of fireflies as the night closed in. Very pretty!

A restful night of sleep and I was off, a bit earlier than normal. Part of that was probably my getting to sleep earlier than normal. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and things did get a bit toasty, but by continually layering on sunscreen, and keeping on both long tops and bottoms, I avoided burn I think. Most of the way had good shoulder today, and it was all fairly flat. I was a bit more concerned about traffic, as this was Saturday, but things weren't that bad. I stopped for brunch at a grocery store and got some fresh fruit (YAY!) for a change. As I was sitting outside eating, two different people stopped to chat with me. Both were more elderly folk who chatted a bit about where I was going and life in general. Other than a few drivers, Illinois people seem to be quite friendly!

During the day, I passed a car with a sign on it, followed by a runner. I'm pretty sure it was this guy:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2010/03/15/2010-03-15_retired_queens_businessman_looks_to_make_forrest_gumplike_run_across_us_for_char.html

We were headed in opposite directions, but I yelled good luck to him as we passed. The world is full of interesting people, once again! :)

Another thing I've been wondering about. Back when I drove across the US, I noticed a lot of fields full of plants with yellow flowers. I'd just assumed they were growing wild, but it's now clear that they're growing in fields between crops (or are they crops). My best guess is they're either plants with nitrogen fixing bacteria, or they're there to wipe out nematodes or keep down weeds. They aren't carefully planted in rows like crops are, but seem more growing at random. Another mystery to explore if I run across somebody to ask, or when I have a hotel stay!

It's only about five here and they sun is high in the sky. Right now I'm in Lebanon, Il. and am quite tempted to maybe make a go at getting through St. Louis today. I should have at least 3 more hours of sunlight, and getting through at a time where traffic should be low has its advantages. See, I said I wasn't very good at "taking it easy". If I do, I'll spend the night in Missouri, and even if I don't make it, I suspect I could find somewhere along the Mississippi river to make camp.

Crossing the Mississippi is going to be a big deal for me. Even though it's closer to the 1/3 point of my trip than anything else, it has been looming large in my mind for quite a while as a major bisector of the US. We'll see what I can do while it's still warm and sunny out!

Take care all!!!

4 comments:

  1. http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/pestcrop/2009/issue5/index.html

    section: "What Do We Do About the Yellow Fields?"

    Is that it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is awesome, already about to cross the Ol' Miss....(not sure where that came from...probably the wrong reference/nickname,hope not)

    Any way, I am wondering if you will be seeing the Gateway Arch (maybe you've seen it before) I hope you get to see it. I love the architect who worked on it, his stuff is pretty cool, Eero Saarinen.

    Here's to not getting sun burn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's all uphill after you cross the Mississippi! ;)

    by the way, what in the heck are you eating at gas stations for breakfast?? sheesh Tom... don't get a vitamin deficiency on your trip lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you will miss Iowa where the "tall corn grows". As kids growing up in Iowa we always heard that it would be a good year if the corn was "Knee High By the Fourth of July". You can watch it grow as you whizz by. GREAT BLOGS!

    ReplyDelete