Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 2

After I posted last evening, I bicycled on until right before Townsend Delaware. I was in luck and ran into Blackbird State Forest, where I camped the night. I was up around 7 am to nice weather, although the night was a bit cool, as was most of today.

Today's weather was great for bicycling overall. One really great thing was almost no wind! After yesterday, that was an enormous relief. It was an exciting day though. I got up to US route 40, and was then going to follow it into Baltimore. I followed this to the bridge over the Susquehanna riverust as I was about to get on it, a police car came up behind me with lights flashing. It turns out that bikes and pedestrians aren't allowed on the bridge. He told me that there was a bike shop that would ferry across bikers, but the number led to an answering machine. At that point, I could either try to thumb a ride across or head north to the US route 1 bridge. I chose to head for Route 1, up what I think was state route 222, although I could be wrong on that. Eventually I got to that bridge, which is interestingly enough also a hydropower station. There wasn't much median, but traffic was light and I was NOT detouring further, so I rushed across after I got a good wind up.

From there, I followed US 1 towards Baltimore, trying to make up lost time. I may have overdone myself though, I seem to be in the suburbs already, and finding a camping spot is going to be tough. Worst case though, I'll have to get a hotel and then rush through Baltimore and D.C. tomorrow. I may not be posting for a bit, as my laptop battery is nearing the end of its life and I'm not sure when I'll be able to recharge it again. Tomorrow will hopefully see me into Virginia!

3 comments:

  1. Crazy boy. It sounds very adventurous so far! Be careful and don't do anything stupid. You hear me? NOTHING STUPID. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie (the sister)May 10, 2010 at 11:12 PM

    Day 2 and you've already been pulled over by a cop... Really, Tom?

    :) Hope you found a safe (and quiet) place to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After my experience with the police this weekend and reading about this, it seems the only way people are allowed to travel is with a car....geez.....there are too many rules and restricted areas!!!!

    Stay safe and hopefully you can get some tips on how to get around those rules along the way!

    ReplyDelete