Tuesday, May 11, 2010

End of Day 2 and Start of Day 3

Well, I managed to finally find somewhere to camp out. Going into Baltimore, the road was getting worse and worse for bikers. Eventually I found myself spending a lot of time walking my bicycle, while at the same time keeping an eye out for camping spots or cheaper hotels. Neither of either showed up, so I just had to keep going...and going...and going. Eventually I ended up in downtown Baltimore. Part of me actually was happy with the situation as there was plenty of lighting from artificial sources and the traffic was much less of a problem than it would have been during the day. The streets were a warren and my map wasn't ideal for the situation, but I followed my policy of "If I head in the right direction, I'll get out of this eventually". After trending south and west as possible, I finally came across a road that linked in with US 1, which I had been trying to stay on. At the same time, there was a small park-like area nearby, so I went a bit back in there and set up camp. By the time I was set up, it was about 1 am.

I woke up around 6:30 and was packed up to go by around 7:30. Heading into Washington DC has been much better than heading into Baltimore was. There has been no wind, but some rain just started, so I'll have to set up my packs for rainy weather. With any luck, I'll spend this evening in Virginia! Thanks to all the family and friends for the support!

Tom

5 comments:

  1. TOM TOM TOM It looks like I might be in STL over the summer after all. (from June to August I believe) I'll let you know for sure in a couple of days AND give you the address of where I'll be so i can house you!!

    MUCH LOVE KIDDO

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. unless you're already through there by june...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the rain wasn't too awful, and you have a good night! Here come the mountains, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Tom, I think the whether is supposed to be rainy and thunderstorms for most of the week, so watch out for lightening. I'm glad you're doing this blog, it's great to read about your adventures. Good Luck!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie (the sister)May 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM

    "Neither of either" ...teehee.
    I am currently stuck indoors studying for exams rather than adventuring the world and enjoying the outdoors. Yeah, be jealous.

    ReplyDelete