Monday, June 14, 2010

Puttering along on Day 35

I am now less than 100 miles from Malibu! I believe I commented when I broke under 1000, so this will continue in that vein, although I doubt I'll take the time to post when I'm under 10 miles.

What a pleasure to see from the comments that some of the individuals whom I met on the trip have been enjoying my comments. One thing I think this trip has done for me is encouraged my writing - I was initially unsure of what to include in these posts, but seem to have found the right stuff as I worked along.

After a nights sleep in a wonderfully comfy bed, I got up and prepped to go, including putting on gloriously clean clothing! Breakfast included homegrown apricots - one of the great things about the west coast! Soon I was off, with a slight change in my route as I was leaving the Szymborski's home, which was a bit off of the route I had planned. Things worked out well, despite my managing to pass one turn by a mile or two and having to backtrack. The land I have been passing through is fairly flat scrubland, dotted with Joshua trees, and with moutain ranges to the north and south. Temperatures got a bit high today, along with a bit of headwind, but I have done a decent job of taking it easy (even taking the time to stop and get out the laptop).

At this point, I'm in Littlerock, California, a mere 85 miles from my goal, and have about three hours of sunlight left. After the comfortable sleep last night, I didn't have any troubles with the let quad until after a stop for lunch a bit back when it started to feel a bit sore. The evening wind began to pick up, so I'll plod along a bit more to try to give myself an easy day for tomorrow. After over a month on the road, it feels weird thinking that I will be done in a day or so. Once I do, I'll be sure to summarize my route, experiences and thoughts, so watch out for that as well as the obligatory picture of me on the beach with my bicycle!

Take care!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom~~
    Would you please email us or call us while you're still in California please? Thanks!
    Deborah
    PS ...Stubby said thanks!

    ReplyDelete